Friday, February 12, 2010

No Pain, No Gain?

I used to think physical pain was a bad thing. I've definitely had my share of it - 4 labors, multiple surgeries, broken bones, and over 500 stitches. I've heard the saying, "No pain, no gain," and never really put much thought into it (it might actually be true). I don't know about you, but major pain stops me in my tracks. It makes everyday living a mountain to climb and I have found pain not to be prejudiced. But what if pain was a good thing, I mean a great thing? What if I could actually rejoice in the pain and make it a positive experience?
I heard Doctor Oz once say, "You should be glad when your sick and your body is vomiting and having diarrhea." That is because your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - get rid of the illness. It may sound extreme, but I have yet to leave the bathroom after a bout with the stomach bug and scream in excitement, "Yeah, go body." How cool is it though that our bodies have the ability to heal themselves. That way of thinking gives me a fresh new perspective on pain.

My most recent experience with pain was life-altering. After a not so graceful fall at the skating rink, the pain was so bad it was hard to focus on anything but pain. I was striped to the bare basics. The thought of having to care for myself, much less 4 other people, completely overwhelmed me. I am not someone easily overwhelmed - remember I'm competitive. That spirit in me is the one thing that automatically takes control and it definitely contributed to my rapid recovery. During the healing process, I learned a little more about who I really am. I have always sought where God wanted me, but inevitably too many times ended up on a different path. I call it lack of patience. I'm the person standing around looking at the sky then looking at my watch saying, "You're late again Lord." I always wait for the answers and forget that he has already planned it out. I thought I should be getting better quicker. I was not forgotten, in fact, God was many steps in front of me, but I couldn't slow down long enough to really listen to Him. I repeat that same word "listen" to my kids on a daily basis.

I have been served in ways that I have never aloud people to serve me before, because of this pain. I have been able to focus on me and my healing process, when I, otherwise, might have felt guilt. I have impressed my orthopedist and thoroughly enjoyed being challenged by my physical therapist. Even my chiropractor's office has been an essential part of my healing process. The encouragement alone has made me strive for total wellness. I could not have been blessed with a better more unique team of doctors that have all been so willing to speak my love language. I'm so thankful for each of them.

As I began to heal and the pain slowly drifted into the background, I realized that I had spent way too much time hurting and forgot to rejoice over the great new people in my life that were actually caring for me. That includes my great friends who really helped me with my kids and encouraged me when I was feeling hopeless. I have met some wonderful people and none of that would have happened if it weren't for the pain. The lessons I have learned about pain and God's timing have been absolutely priceless to me.

So is Pain a great thing? Oh yeah, in every case of major pain in my life, physical or emotional, I have grown closer to becoming who God has called me to be. Pain is just a symptom to tell you somethings wrong. What a wonderful way for us to recognize a need and do something about it. I know it's a little too late for New Year's resolutions, but we can all vow to serve and love each other. Let's make a commitment to rejoicing in our pain, while striving to get well.

I'm so thankful for everyone who has been there for me through this pain. Being hurt has been a real challenge, but I embrace the lessons learned. Thanks for loving me when I couldn't offer much in return. You know who you are and you rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment